On Tuesday, 22 June 2021, Alex Hawke MP (the Minister for Immigration, Citizenship, Migrant Services and Multicultural Affairs), announced the addition of 22 occupations to the existing Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL).
Occupations on the PMSOL list are given priority over other visa applications when a business wants to employ a foreign worker in this position. If you are considering sponsoring a foreign employee in one of the positions newly added to the list, it may well be that now is a good time to do it.
The current PMSOL now has a total of 41 occupations (up from 19).
The newly added PMSOL occupations are:
- Accountant (General) ANZSCO 221111
- Accountant (Taxation) ANZSCO 221113
- Accountant (Management) ANZSCO 221112
- External Auditor ANZSCO 221213
- Internal Auditor ANZSCO 221214
- Electrical Engineer ANZSCO 233311
- Civil Engineer ANZSCO 233211
- Structural Engineer ANZSCO 233214
- Geotechnical Engineer ANZSCO 233212
- Transport Engineer ANZSCO 233215
- Mining Engineer ANZSCO 233611
- Petroleum Engineer ANZSCO 233612
- Surveyor ANZSCO 232212
- Cartographer ANZSCO 232213
- Other Spatial Scientist ANZSCO 232214
- Medical Laboratory Scientist ANZSCO 234611
- Orthotist / Prosthetist ANZSCO 251912
- Multimedia Specialist ANZSCO 261211
- Analyst Programmer ANZSCO 261311
- Software and Applications Programmers ANZSCO 261399
- ICT Security Specialist ANZSCO 262112
- Chef ANZSCO 351311
The complete PMSOL specifying the 41 occupations is provided here.
The Department of Home Affairs will process the following visa applications more quickly where the nominated occupation is listed in the PMSOL for:
- 482 Temporary Skill Shortage (Temporary Residence) Visas; or
- 494 Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional (Temporary Residence) Visas; or
- 186 Employer Nominated Scheme (Permanent Residence) Visas; or
- 187 Regional Sponsored migration Scheme (Permanent Residence) Visas.
In this regard, companies are encouraged to request the Department of Home Affairs for priority processing if they currently have a lodged visa application pending decision that nominates an occupation listed in the PMSOL.
Other articles that may interest you
About Employment Innovations
Employment Innovations is one of Australia’s leading providers of employment services designed to increase productivity and ensure compliance. Its services and solutions include all the tools that every Australian small to medium sized employer needs – including workplace advice, legal services, payroll solutions, migration, human resource management and HR software.
If you require any assistance with visas, sponsoring foreign workers or any other migration matter, Employment Innovations has an experienced registered migration agent able to help.
The information provided in these blog articles is general in nature and is not intended to substitute for professional advice. If you are unsure about how this information applies to your specific situation we recommend you contact Employment Innovations for advice.